Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"Oh My Goochness!"

Today witnessed an absolute spate of articles about American soccer players:

The first is an absolutely wonderful article about rising U.S. National Team star Oguchi Onyewu. It's a nice, factual fluff piece, but in it, "his London-based agent Will Sterling says the move [to Manchester United] is unlikely at this time, and no offer has been tendered." He'll get plenty more offers after the World Cup I'm sure, and now he can focus his energy on his upcoming season with Standard.

There was also a great piece in today's New York Times about U.S. captain Claudio Reyna. Reyna, who has missed the U.S.'s last three World Cup qualifiers, speaks out about taking time off, and ensuring his fitness for club and country. Landon Donovan spells out why Reyna is so important to the team:

"We're athletic, we're fast, we're just physically a good team and we like to go, go, go. Sometimes we wear ourselves out and sometimes we need to know when to stop, and that's what Claudio does. He knows how to mix from let's go, let's counter, let's get at them, to let's keep the ball. He just completely settles our team."

But wait. There's more. Ives Galarceps interviews goalkeeper Tim Howard, who says, "would I have signed a four-year contract if I wasn't happy there [Manchester United]?" More shockingly, Howard makes some pretty edgy comments about his playing time and his future with the National Team:

"I think all things being equal, Kasey would play. If I played every game for Manchester United this year and Kasey played every game for his team in Germany, and we were both on form, tell me who you think would play? I think we both know who would play, but what can you do?"

Then this:

"We can go head to head anytime you want. I could go to Reading and play every game. Does that make me better? Does that make somebody better than me? I don't think so."

Unusually combative stuff from the normally docile and media savvy Howard. But you just have to admire his toughness and tenacity:

"It's about being a big boy. I could leave there and come home and be labeled a hero," said Howard with a chuckle. "I could have, but I stuck it out. It's not easy in Europe and I hear so many people complaining and whining, for what? It's not easy and it never was going to be easy. Do I just pack up and leave and go somewhere where it's easier? I could, a lot of people would and do. I chose not to do that. I choose to fight it out."

Still one more, believe it or not, a a chronicle of Santino Quaranta's dramatic comeback at the ripe old age of 20.

Also, on the US Soccer homepage you can find a number of new videos, including video footage of Paul Caliguiri's "shot heard round the world" against Trinidad and Tobago in 1989.

In MLS news, the LA Galaxy may be looking to sign former River Plate standout Claudio Hussain. I don't what's more novel, the Galaxy looking desperate, or an American club signing a player whose last name is Hussain (spelled differently, I know).

Grant Wahl published his MLS Power Rankings this week, and there was one glaring error, "Are you like me? Are you starting to envision MLS Cup X ... as a rematch of MLS Cup IX?" (which has since been edited out). I guess Grant forgot that Kansas City had moved to the Eastern Conference. Well, he performed his mea culpa over on Bigsoccer not to long after its publication on SI.com. Classy as always Grant; don't worry, we forgive you.

Other news:

Remember that Brazilian guy that was accidentally killed by the police in London? Well, the story got even worse...

"Doh!"

Great. Let's give men even more reasons to act pretentious and dress like emo rockers.

A radioactive water spill? Sweet!

"...one of the biggest stories of our age." No, he's not exaggerating or anything.

Wow...just...wow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home